Monday, February 23, 2015

The New Kind of Flesh: "All is prepared for the birth of tragedy"

When I wrote this line I hadn't yet read Nietzsche's book...  if I had, I guess I would have thought of the birth of tragedy as a historical moment rather than a possibility in a poetical present.  Serendipitous that the previous line refers to "tuned up" given that the subtitle of The Birth of Tragedy is from the Spirit of Music.  I guess the Greeks had to tune up their moments to prepare for the birth of tragedy just like my poem people did.  But did the Greeks need to have everything prepared, as I seem to be suggesting is necessary here?  Couldn't the birth of tragedy be enabled by less than complete preparation, or even no preparation at all?  That's something to ask the gods, perhaps, whose plans look just like impulses anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment