Thursday, June 18, 2009

The dedication, continued: Tom Clark

I've been reading Tom Clark's poetry since I was in high school in Simi Valley, thirty-five years ago, and found a copy of Another World, still my all-time favorite poetry anthology, at the Simi Valley Public Library. Tom is that volume's opener. Finding his books Stones and Air at the U.C. Riverside library when I was going to Johnston College in Redlands was a further influence on my writing at the time.

In the mid-1980's I met Tom in person when I signed up for a U.C. Berkeley Extension poetry class he was teaching, and from that point on he has served as a model of writing and taking poetry seriously. That first workshop class was also where I first met the three poets whose friendship I valued most in the ensuing decade: Owen Hill, Richard Retecki, and the now-deceased William Talcott.

During the 1990's I audited a number of the poetry classes Tom taught at his home through New College... I've lost touch with him in the last ten years, partly because when I'd pretty much done all the classes he taught, my own work didn't serve as a sufficiently strong reason for communication -- all the more so when I stopped writing altogether for several years. Nevertheless, my affection and respect for him have never diminished.



1 comment:

  1. Alva.

    Many thanks for this. Your fine intelligence and close attention to poetry always made the instruction between us a two-way thing; it shall remain to be seen who learned most.

    Health problems in recent years have sadly separated me from many friends, and I've missed being in contact with you. But now we are linked again, and this is a blessing.

    We all start and stop and start again in writing, for as long as we're given. Who knows what drives these cycles. I've quit trying to sort it out, and begun again to attempt to just do it. Happy to hear the same is true for you!

    ReplyDelete